Monday, November 26, 2012

Teachers Who "Dare to Be A Daniel"

One special part about the October Weekend Group was that a high percentage of those who were already involved in ministry on their campus. Jenny started an After School Good News Club and has been impressed at how the parents stay to listen to the Bible lessons. Steve is involved in his school’s Christian discipleship club called F.O.C.U.S and is working to establish new Fellowship of Christian Athletes Clubs as well. Justin was seeking ways to apply Christian values into his 6th grade classroom setting and hopes to someday become a principal in order to make a greater impact on the system. Mike was already involved with LIFT (Lasting Impact Fellowship for Teachers) at his school and wants to establish more of these networks for teachers.

Another unique quality about this group was the already established relationships with each other that strengthened their connections. We had four teachers from the same school attending, two sets of two from the same district and one pair from the same area. Knowing you are not alone and partnering with others is a main emphasis of our experience together. We want these teachers to be inspired to make a difference when our time together ends. Many realized that others were facing the same challenges. Together they thought of new ways to rise above and find solutions. 

The purpose of the Daniel Weekend is both to empower teachers to impact their campus with the love of Christ and to help Christian Educators develop strategies to transform schools with God’s love and truth. The ideas that are shared at the weekend can be used to encourage teachers both at their own school and nationwide as we publish how God is using them to reach colleagues, students and parents.

What participants said they personally gained as a result of the weekend:

  • A renewal of my commitment to see my classroom as a mission field and the incredible need to pray for my students, co-workers and school. I have been inspired by the vision and passion of others to look with eyes of possibility, vision and hope rather than with eyes of limitation and lack.
  • A spiritual renewal/awakening through amazing encouragement, relationship building and a desire to be that modern-day Daniel at my school, with my family and in my community.
    • The sense of unity-I am not alone. I feel like there is a strong support system available to encourage me as well as a support system that can answer questions.
    • I gained inspiration to believe God for dreams. God-given dreams are intended to lead to God-honoring outcomes.
    • A larger and more structured means of furthering God’s kingdom with like-minded brothers and sisters in my school site and life in general.
    • I can’t do this on my own and now I realize I don’t have to. I feel a part of a larger mission, a larger calling, a movement of God—a revival. It gives me a sense of purpose in an otherwise dark place. 

Many public school teachers do not realize the vast mission field set before them and the opportunity they have to impact nations. I respect those who “Dare to be Daniels” without compromise in a culture of foreign values. I am so privileged to minister to those who are called to reach children with the gospel, just like I am.




No comments: