Monday, November 26, 2012

Don't Let Your Integrity Pop!


One of my joys is when I have the opportunity to share with a class of public school children. My visit to Sophak Kong’s Class was such an opportunity. Sophak teaches 4th grade at Monroe Elementary School in Lakewood. We met during our first Daniel Weekend back in May 2010. He invited me to visit and share an object lesson with his students. They gathered on the floor in one corner of the classroom where they could all see and were good listeners.

I defined the concept of integrity as their ability to be honest so that others can trust what they say. Then I explained that integrity can be fragile at times, somewhat like a balloon. The children got concerned when I pulled out a thumb tack and asked them what happens when something sharp touches a balloon. To their amazement, I was able to push the tack into the balloon and it did not pop. I explained that some parts of the balloon are thicker and more resilient, like a person who is always truthful. When we have integrity, struggles can come into our lives and our most important relationships can withstand the pressure. But when we lie or convey half truths, even the littlest problems can cause the confidence others put in us, to pop. When I popped the balloon, it really got the kids attention. Hopefully, this lesson will be remembered next time they are tempted to lie about their homework or where they have been. The more we can teach good values to students the more chance they have at success.

To my surprise , several of the children recognized me as the Released-Time Lady since I had just visited their Long Beach Released Time class which was held in a Pastor’s home across the street. It was an enjoyable time of learning values and growing in our understanding together.

No comments: