Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A New & Exciting Journey


Meet My Boyfriend, Paul


A year and a half ago, the Interior Career Group at the First Evangelical Free Church of Fullerton where I attend, decided to focus this ministry to those in their young 20’s. You might say that my friends and I outgrew the Interior, as we participated in it over the years. So last January, some of my friends got our Pastor’s blessing to start the 30’s Home Fellowship. This was a wonderful chance for us to stay connected and continue our fellowship.
During this time, I got to know Paul Kannard. He, too, had been part of the Interior, was active in one of the men’s small groups and participated in a six month spiritual growth class that I took, called The Journey. This class met weekly and alternated between lecture format and mixed small groups. Paul happened to be in my Journey small group. Somehow, I had gotten his attention, but he never let me know.
It was not until the 30’s Home Fellowship began that I talked to Paul at any length. We were both very active in the group on Friday nights, serving wherever needed. He offered to walk me to my car one night, which made me a little nervous. He had noticed me picking up leftover paper plates after dinner and commented, “I just want to make sure you know: We love you for who you are, not just what you do for us.” I was really impressed with how observant and sensitive he was! At the end of a meeting in early April, he asked me to join him for coffee. We started dating, and we have been dating consistently ever since.
Paul is studying to be a nurse and loves helping others. We are very like-minded and enjoy doing activities together, such as: watching movies, walking his dog, babysitting my nieces and meeting with other Christian couples. We participate weekly in the 30’s Bible Study and enjoy activities with mutual friends from church. We were involved in the church service project, the summer car-campout and have gone on a few hikes together. Paul loves the great outdoors, so I expect more of this will be in our future. In June, his older sister, Karen, and her husband Rob, had a baby boy. In May, I got to meet most of his family when we attended the baby shower.
This new, exciting journey was un-expected, but what a joy that God caused our paths to cross. We are both so thankful to Him!! Thanks for your love and support!

No comments: