Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Lifelong Writing Project


On May 12, 2009, I met in a small room with 6 others to have our final Ordination Interview. We were asked many specific questions about our calling and conversion. The committee of Pastor’s wanted to know which passage of scripture best conveyed our heart for ministry. During the Ordination Ceremony, this passage was read and all family members and friends in attendance came forward, laid hands on me and prayed. That evening will always be a special memory that I hold in my heart!
The verse I chose was 2 Corinthians 3:2, “You, yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everybody. You show that you are our letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of the human heart.”
Over the last 10 years, my “letter” of recommendation has been the people to whom I minister, as I invest in their lives. There have been many children who have received Christ as their Savior. My credentials have rested in the additional adults and teens that I have trained to share the gospel effectively with kids. Through this, I am aware that each task is God’s “elaborate excuse” for me to love others in His name, just as I was loved unconditionally. As I experienced the benefit of God using mentors to invest into my life, I decided to live for what will really lasts by investing in the lives of others. Now that my Ordination allows me to “marry and bury” my intention is to use this credential to strategize with others pastors about how to reach children outside their churches. I am driven each day by the realization that children live without God and without hope. You might say I have a “lifelong-writing project,” but one that will impact the world, one child at a time.

No comments: