Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Pathways of Preparation

Putting my trust in Christ around age 4 or 5 led me down a specific path. Could God’s call on my life have started in Kindergarten? God impressed upon me the lyrics from a simple childhood song. I remember singing, “I’m just a child, my life is still before me. I just can’t wait, to see what God has for me, but I know that I will trust Him and I’ll wait to see what life will bring for me.” Each verse gave examples of Bible heroes who were used by God in great ways. I so badly wanted to be just like them! I was told that God was going to use me for something great someday—but when? Just like the child who starts out on a long road trip and asks, “Are we there yet?”—I grew up with anticipation about God’s adventure for my life. It has taken almost 20 years for me to understand the purpose of the road God has me on.
Since last Fall, I have been seriously considering getting a Minister’s License. This would be the next step in relating to other Pastor’s and add to my career credentials as a Children’s Evangelist. Most Ministers get Licensed through the church or denomination where they serve. My church only gives a license to those who minister directly on their church staff. A Pastor friend, who was formerly on Staff with Campus Crusade for Christ, recommended that I apply to the Evangelical Church Alliance (ECA). The ECA is an international organization founded to supply ministerial credentials to those who will not compromise the Word of God. So I pursued the application process through them.
After turning in the paperwork, processing my file took longer than I had been told to expect. In going through my file they noticed that I attended Biola University and graduated from the Children’s Ministry Institute (CMI). They also recognized that I had been serving in vocational ministry for almost 10 years. Based on this, the ECA called me to say that not only could I be Licensed, as I requested, but that I was qualified for Ordination! So I decided to go for it.
I have learned a lot following this trail and feel honored to join those I have respected for so long. I have heard it said, “God does not always call the qualified, but He qualifies the called.” I know I still haven’t “arrived” but the One who planned my journey has been preparing me for this pathway, at least since Kindergarten.



No comments: