Friday, January 23, 2009

A Season of Learning

Every year I determine to join a small group of likeminded Christians for Bible study, prayer and fellowship. Most of the small group opportunities come through my church.
This year, I was invited to join a Learning Community through Urban Youth Workers Institute (UYWI). UYWI is an evangelical, nation wide para-church organization that seeks to develop leaders who minister to children and youth in urban areas. Since I minister to children in urban areas of Long Beach and have been seeking to better understand their needs. This was a perfect fit.
My Learning Community is made up of women, most of whom minister in the L.A. Area. One of my co-workers at CEF, Paulette Williams, joined as well. This is giving me a chance to get to know her outside of the work context. We meet monthly for 4-6 hours and sometimes go out to experience life together. We read one book a month and come together to discuss what it means in the context of our life and ministry. We have read Captivating by John and Stacy Eldridge, Courageous Leadership by Bill Hybels and The Shack by Wm. Paul Young. I see this as a blessed season of learning from other women of God who are just as committed to care for young people as I am.

No comments: