Monday, August 8, 2011

Unforgettable


Mario Martinez (right) and Gwen Blankenship (pictured with students on the left) are two “unforgettable” educators.

Mario has been a leader at an after school Good News Club for 5 years at the elementary school where he teaches in Murrieta. His former students, now in middle school and high school, come back to talk with Mario and ask questions about God. As a result, he has led many of them to Christ.

Gwen has been teaching for 23 years; long enough to teach the younger siblings of former students. Currently, she teaches Life Science at Ensign Middle School in Newport Beach. Right before graduation this year, Mrs. Blankenship got this letter, which brought tears to her eyes. “Your kind-spirited heart has really touched mine in a way you couldn’t imagine. I feel as though you have impacted my life for the better. The way you can change a student’s life, makes me dream of what a great person I hope to be. Thank you.”

Many educators don’t realize that students are saying “you have a place in my heart” or “I haven’t forgotten how important you are to me.” These teachers received them like Christ talks about in Matthew 18:5, and students continue to hold what their teacher said or did close to their hearts and minds. This special kindness is what makes a teacher truly unforgettable.


No comments: